Benefits of Backbends:
· Backbends stretches the front of the abdomen, hips, thighs, shoulders and chest
· By activating the abdomen, they stimulate the kidneys, reproductive, and digestive system.
· The backward bending postures energize, refresh and invigorate the body- opening the chest, and encouraging proper breathing
· On an anatomical level, this action stretches and releases the muscles of the chest allowing circulation to flow freely to the heart and lungs.
· During the back-bend the thymus is pressured, and then released, this stimulation can aid immune function. The nervous system is stimulated, building heat and stimulating metabolism
· The abdominal muscles receive a stretch, as does the digestive system
· Backbends bring heat and energy to the spine. The Nervous system benefits, as Cerebral-Spinal fluids are pumped (since the body is usually in a forward bend)
· Backbends realign the spine, counteracting and re-teaching the body’s poor habits and making daily movement more comfortable, lending poise and grace
· Integrity of the spine creates integrity of the mind, combating depression and lethargy
· By opening the chest, backbends also work with the heart center, encouraging complete expansion of the lungs. This brings vitality.
More Physical Benefits:
Yoga Fitness Blog
I am Claudia Gutierrez, owner of Yoga Fitness, originally from Argentina and proudly Irish Citizen since 2012.